Friday, October 31, 2008

56) Autumn Splash


11 x 14” watercolor on 300 pound cold press paper - Sold
Click HERE to purchase a reprint or cards 



The last Sunday in October, an unusually warm day allowed me to find an unexpected opportunity to paint outside. The autumn colors were still bright through the oranges and yellows or maple and birch. Blurring my eyes created an interesting effect where the grass of the field looked much like water with the dead grass and tire tracks resembling shadows from the trees. On the left side of the work can be seen the northern most rows of apple trees. On the left side displays a rail fence that forms the northern border of the orchard.

I tried to paint quickly with large swaths of paint. Being comfortable with a more abstract technique, I chose not to use purple and black outlines as with earlier works. The large dead tree in the left upper side reminded me of a neuron cell.

No comments: